Paul Heingarten mainly writes science fiction and fantasy, with the occasional detour into general fiction. His novel “Cataclysm Epoch” was selected as a semi-finalist in the 2017 William Faulkner – William Wisdom Creative Writing Competition in New Orleans.
A musician for most of his life, and an IT professional because it pays the bills, he lives in South Louisiana with his wife Andrea. In addition to sharing his passion for writing with his wife and the local Bayou Writers Club they belong to, he’s also a diehard Saints fan.
Connect with him on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram Official Website
1. Some of your readers may not know this, but you're a musician. How did you end up choosing the trumpet?
I remember my parents taking me to a school event, where local music shops had brought several sample instruments out for interested students to try them and see if they'd be interested. I think at the time it was more my parents encouraging me to try music, but I went. I think between the saxophones and clarinets, that had a whole lot of keys, and the tuba, baritone, and trombone, which seemed a little big for me at the time, the trumpet just had that magic combination of a good size, and not a whole lot of keys to have to worry about. What can I say, I like to keep things simple :)
2. What would be your go-to song if you had to get up on stage and sing karaoke?
Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet.
3. What would be your weapon of choice if you had to defend yourself against an alien threat?
Pulse Rifle, in automatic mode.
4. What are you reading when you’re not writing?
A giant across the board mix. I've read Howard Stern's book of celebrity interviews, the Hunger Games series (just finishing up a Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes!), I've got several space opera books lined up as well, including Leviathan Wakes.
5. How do you sort the titles in your library?
I have been an alphabetical organizer for a while, but lately I've been looking at organizing books by their size.
6. If you could wake up with a supernatural power tomorrow, what would it be?
The gift of flight! Would make travel easy!
7. Authors are all about painting sceneries and setting up the mood through the power of words. If you had to limit yourself to a single word in the English language to describe yourself, which one would it be?
8. What was your most fundamental inspiration behind The Essence Wars?
The Essence Wars space opera series I'm launching in February 2021 is a culmination of almost 44 years of consuming science fiction, in particular space operas... stories of distant galaxies and civilizations, with great heroes and powerful villains. I enjoy writing about strong characters, putting them into crazy situations and have them fight their way out.
9. How do you take your coffee? If you don’t drink coffee, what’s your beverage of choice?
At home, I typically drink it black. If I'm out it all depends where I'm at. My current coffee of choice is a "King Cake Latte" by one of the local coffee shops in my hometown.
Hi, I'm Amy and I'm addicted to caffeine, board games, mythology tales and my Korg keyboards. Oh, yeah, and I occasionally happen to write stories.