H M Aguilar Chanchan is a literary nerd with an English degree, a classic Brit lit hope, and a creative writing prayer. As evidenced by the previous sentence, the oxford comma will be pried from her cold, dead fingers. She grew up in the little town of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and moved to the big city of Philadelphia thirty years later. She currently lives with her husband and her cat. They equally fight for her attention while she steals snippets of time to write to her caffeinated heart's content. She is a former federal employee with ten years of service. The aftermath of that position left her thoroughly enthralled by the inner workings of the human mind. When she’s not writing, she enjoys reading other books, petting any animal within a five-mile radius, and screaming into the void as a decompressor.
Connect with her on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram Official Website
1. You have a kitty named Sinatra. Is he a writing partner or an adorable distraction demanding time off writing?
Sinatra is absolutely a writing distraction. He frequently paws at my legs with a chirping meow to get my attention if I've been in my office too long. He offers cuddles and some warm fur to keep this old, curmudgeonly heart beating.
2. As a writer, you explore the dark sides of human psyche, but you also note your favorite color is pink. If a psycho breaks into your home, do you have a pink item you’d be able to use as a makeshift weapon?
Yes! I have a statuette of Elvis in a pink, bedazzled suit from the 50s right next to the door. I would be sad if anything happened to it, but it's nice to know that The King would be watching over me in my time of need.
3. Do you have a favorite grammar joke?
I love plays on words! It's so hard to choose just one! English is a difficult language to disect. It can be understood through tough thorough thought, though.
4. What are you reading when you’re not writing?
I'm very much an "oldie, but a goodie" reader. I tend to favor rereading things I've already read to help quiet my mind when I'm not writing. With that said, Outlander, all the way.
5. How do you sort the titles in your library?
I actually sort my library according to height to make it aesthetically pleasing. I heard the collective groan. Don't judge too harshly!
6. Authors are all about painting sceneries and setting up the mood through the power of words. If you had to limit yourself to a single word in the English language to describe yourself, which one would it be?
7. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
Night owl that hoots until the wee, small hours of the morning.
8. What was your most fundamental inspiration behind Real Talk?
The X-Files was the driving force behind the concept. Mulder was an Oxford-educated psychologist that believed in the paranormal, and Scully was a no-nonsense, hard-nosed woman of science that believed in religion. Their witty banter; the long, steamy looks. Oh, man! I could go on for days.
9. As a “glorified caffeine addict”, how do you take your coffee?
A measured amount of creamer, no additional sugar, helps the medicine go down.
Hi, I'm Amy. That weird author with all the necromancers. I'm addicted to caffeine, board games, mythology tales and my Korg keyboards. Oh, yeah, and I occasionally happen to write stories.